Monday, January 24, 2011

The eco-papi challenge

As much as I have tried, I just can't convert my husband into becoming as environmental as I would like him to be.  No amount of begging, bargaining, or nagging has made him concerned enough to take his reusable bags to the grocery store (and I have them stored in his car for his convenience).  Instead of getting too frustrated, I see it as a challenge that if I can convert him then I can convert ANYone.

Leaving the lights on is something seemingly simple that he could change.  Unfortunately, it's still a bad habit of his so I'm thinking of installing those automated lights that only turn on when triggered by motion.  Maybe that'll save me some time by not having to follow him all over the house turning the lights off.  And will help with the power bill too. :)

Another eco-unfriendly habit he has is idling in the driveway every night when he comes home because he's usually on the phone for work.  (The phone is hooked into his car's speaker system and sometimes when he turns off the car it hangs up the call).  Idling is a big pet peeve of mine since it wastes gas, pollutes the air, and wastes natural resources.

I'll give him credit on at least trying to recycle.  Right now he errs on the side of caution and throws everything into the recycling bin.  Of course, not everything is recyclable but at least he's not throwing everything in the trash.  I guess it can be confusing knowing what exactly is recyclable and what isn't.  I'm always looking for the magic triangle underneath packaging to see if the number is accepted in my local landfill (which is usually just #1 and #2).

Thankfully, there are a few things he doesn't have much choice on when it comes to living green.  Since I do most of the cleaning, grocery shopping, and cooking, he has to eat what I make, use the products that I have in the house, while not changing a single thing about his daily routine.

He's not completely hopeless.  I guess as long as there's one participating member of the household that's willing to go green, that's enough to make a little positive impact on the planet.  One day in the future I hope to blog about his miraculous transformation into eco-papi, but until that day I'll do enough for the both of us.  It's better than nothing, right?

1 comment:

  1. This is a great post! I look forward to his transformation!! (Tell him we are all watching him!) It's like trying to train an old dog, new tricks... these things take time. (not that I'm calling him old, ha!)

    ReplyDelete