Friday, September 3, 2010

Fail: eco-products don't always make the grade

I've started writing this blog to provide people with alternatives to their everyday living in order to become more eco-friendly.  I love promoting green products that are just as good if not better than the regular products in the store.  However, just because something is eco-friendly doesn't mean it's always effective.

Here are a few products that I've tried recently that just aren't good:

Preserve razors: These razors are made out of recycled yogurt containers.  This company makes lots of beauty & home products, such as toothbrushes and razors, from those containers that aren't usually recycled in your local landfill.  (Most landfills except only plastic #1 & 2 located in the triangle on the bottom of your plastic products so I was excited when someone was actually making use of these #5 & 6 containers).  Anyway, these razors are HORRIBLE.  I cut myself shaving the other day so badly that a piece of my skin was in the razor.  Appetizing, I know.  And what's sexier than shaved legs, is shaved legs with band-aids stuck all over.  Oh yeah, that's hot.

Whole Foods brand shampoo & conditioner:  I bought these thinking that since they were biodegradable and don't effect the water eco-system that I was doing my part, but my hair looked like crap.  I'm not at the point where I can sacrifice beauty for the environment, so it's back to looking for a better alternative.

Tom's natural toothpaste: I don't recommend it.  My teeth did NOT feel clean, nor did my breath smell any better.  Again, beauty (& hygiene) over the environment.  Looking for an alternative.

Method Tub & Tile cleaner: This does NOT clean my showers to my satisfaction.  I have also tried a steamer as well as baking soda & vinegar.  So far nothing works as well as Kaboom! or bleach alternatives which contain all kinds of toxic chemicals that are bad for my health and the environment. But I'd like to shower in a clean & mildew-less bathroom, thank you.

Method's new tiny laundry detergent in a pump: I wish I could promote this one, as it's a great idea for those of you who use laundromats since it's small and compact and effective.  However, they need to come up with a better pump.  Three-quarters of the way through, the the pump becomes ineffective and it's very frustrating.  I'd rather just use another detergent without the frustration.

Lastly, I do not recommend GE's frontload washer.  They are very stylish and very energy efficient (they use less water to wash your clothes), however they are a headache to clean.  Never thought I'd have to clean my washer, but this one has a slide-out drawer to put your detergent, fabric softener, and bleach in, which you have to open to air out when not in use.  Otherwise it gets mold in it.  Mold.  Yuck.  Also, it has a plastic flap in the door opening of the washer where things like to get caught (like socks, coins, and hairballs).  I'll be going back to the old school washer once this one dies (in 15 yrs or so.  ugh!).

So, unfortunately, I can't just promote a product because it's natural or eco-friendly.  I'd like to recommend the best products to live a greener life, so it's back to doing more research on environmental alternatives to these products.  Hope these tips help save you a little time and frustration.  Next week I'll have suggestions for green products that I absolutely love.

In the meantime, please join my facebook page for eco-mami to receive daily eco-tips, current articles about the environment, and product reviews for green things I've tried.  Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment