Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Fresh produce

What's better than buying fresh, local produce that's in season?  It's tastier, cheaper, and better for the environment, especially if it's grown organically.  This is the first year I've tried joining a CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) at my local farm.  I split the share with a neighbor friend and get just enough produce to feed my family of 4 for the week.  It's delivered right to our doorstep once a week so it's convenient.

I love to cook, so finding the goodies in my box each week is a fun challenge for me to come up with recipes to make throughout the week.  Some things I've never cooked before, or even eaten before, but so far my kids have been game for what I've made.  Well, except for the asparagus.  There's no disguising it's unique taste, not even covered in cheese & bacon.  Oh well, more for me and my husband.

Last week for my first delivery, I received kale, and a lot of it.  I had no idea what to do with it so I came up with this recipe that my kids devoured.  They even asked for seconds!  I sauteed it with onions, chorizo, and tomatoes and then served it all over rice.  Delicious!

If you've never tried a CSA before then I highly recommend it.  You also have the option of going to pick up the produce directly at the farm, or in some areas you can pick it yourself.  The vegetables/fruit are delivered with dirt on them because they pick it and put it directly in your box.  What a great way to show your kids where your food comes from.  And more incentive to protect our environment.

If you don't have a participating CSA near you or are too late (or too scared) to commit this season, try going to the farmer's market instead.  This way you can pick which vegetables or fruit you will eat and there's no waste, especially if your family members aren't very adventurous in what they eat.

Buon appetit! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment