Monday, September 13, 2010

Pass: eco-products that I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE

As promised, this week's post will feature products that are both good for the environment as well as great for your daily living.  Last week I told you about those products that didn't make the grade, at all.  These are my favorites that have been tried and I love.

Beauty products & toiletries:
Burt's Bees.
Their products feature everything from lotions, to shampoos, to men's products.  I especially love their tinted lip gloss which moisturizes as well as give you a polished look.
Ecotools makeup brushes.
These are made from natural & recycled materials, like bamboo, and work great.  They range from eye brushes, to foundation, to powder brushes.  Guilt-free beauty.
Eco-dent toothbrushes.
These are made from 100% plastic and have replaceable toothbrush heads.  If you think about how many toothbrushes are thrown away in your own household each year, it makes sense to get these to reduce your waste.  They have adult and kid's sizes, but I'm having a hard time finding the kid's ones these days.  Anyway, I love them so if you can find them, stock up.

Cleaning products:
Simply Green.
This company makes a non-toxic cleaning solution that you dilute with water to clean just about everything.  Besides my homemade cleaners, I use this solution daily to clean lunchboxes, placemats, and anything else that's not granite, wood, or stainless steel.
Seventh generation
I have used their dish soap, laundry detergent, and household cleaners and love them.  It gets pricey which is why I've started making my own.  But a very good product for those who don't want to make their own.
Method:
Their tub scrub (le scrub) works great (a lot like soft scrub) and is non-toxic.  Their biodegradable and flushable toilet wipes are great also, as is their toilet cleaner.  As mentioned last week, their tub & tile cleaner is not.
Microfiber cloths.
I buy mine at the Target automotive section that come 8-12 in a pack.  Very economical and in various colors so you can color code which task you want it for.  For example, gray for stainless steel, orange for the counters, etc.  I keep mine in a bin under my kitchen sink so they're always at hand and swap them out daily.  I toss them in the wash by the end of the week with my cloth napkins, dish cloths, and steam mop pads.
Scotch-Brite non-scratch natural sponges & scour pads.
These kitchen cleaning products are made from 100% natural fibers & recycled paper.  It's a renewable resource that will naturally break down for guilt-free cleaning.

Cooking products:
Contessa frozen foods.
These frozen meals are all-natural, minimal ingredients, taste great, and are good for you.  When you're in a rush and don't have time to make your dinner/lunch, this is a great product to try.  And as a bonus, there are coupons included in each bag for your next purchase.
Regency parchment paper.  
This stuff is a God-send for me.  I have been trying to find an alternative to saran wrap to pound chicken cutlets thin and this product works phenomenally.  It's also great for lining your baking sheets for easy clean-up.  And for those of you who like the convenience of disposable living, this is guilt-free since it's made out of plants so it's a renewable resource AND biodegrades!  Love it!

Products I'd like to try:
iPhone solar charger.  As addicted as I am to my phone, I have to charge it daily, so this is a must for me.  Probably going to add it to my wish list.  A little less demand on the power grid from me.
Preserve kitchen products (like spatulas, colanders, etc.).  These will also be on my Christmas wish list for sure.  Made from recycled yogurt containers they are stylish, functional, and eco-friendly.  And I love kitchen gadgets.

So, take it from me.  These products are eco-friendly but are just as effective as their non-eco-friendly alternatives.  And they're better for you and the planet as well.  Test them out for yourselves and let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment